Monday, October 02, 2006

Foreigners getting lost

Foreigners getting lost

Well, this happened a few days ago when i was working at Changi Airport. I was again working as the skytrain guide. This time, i was situated at the entrance of the Mrt station.

I just got back to my post after my break. Within minutes, there was this group of foreigners, 2 guys and a gal. They were pulling one of the trolleys with their heavy stuff on it. Seeing me, they asked if there were any booths that they are do some hotel reservations. I had guided them down to a level down where i can remember they can do the reservation.

Because of the trolley, they had to take a lift down. However, playfully, one of the guy opt to go down using the escalator heading to the Mrt station. The others then head to the lift. It took a while for me to realise that the guy who head down the escalator was going down 2 levels instead as the escalator was build to provide direct excess to the station. Hurriedly, i went to take a look if he had realise that. It was apparently not. It took a stuff to guide him up another level. Upon seeing this, i thought he would have found his friends who have gone down through the lift. I headed back to my post, waiting the remaining minutes left of my shift.

Who was to know that a while later, the guy who went down through the lift came up back. I was kinda surprised when he came to me and said that he had lost his friend. I explained to him about how his friend got back track and should have found him. Meanwhile, the gal who was with him was one level down waiting. Upon this, the foreigner went back down to meet up the gal back. He even asked that i try to spot his missing friend.

Interesting incident indeed. Getting lost just like that.... My shift ended shortly after as i head home straight, still pondering if they have found their lost friend. I was thinking will it be so serious that an announcement would have to be made through the sound system???

A lesson to be learnt there.... We really have to stick together when in a foreign land even if it seems straight forward. Things got really get complicated when there is lost of communication to it too....

No comments: